02 June, 2011

palabras

A friend of mine is on a similar trip right now, practicing Spanish and volunteering at a clinic, and her blog is a beautiful account of her experience in the Dominican Republic. I had imagined writing in a similar manner, but right now I'm constantly struggling with words. Immersed in Spanish, I am constantly trying to force words into submission, pressing verbs into the past tense, twisting adjectives between masculine and feminine and stretching adjectives into adverbs.

I also find myself questioning the meaning of a lot of words. Words like mujer, rico, blanco, colonizaciĆ³n and estadounidense. So I'm going to leave my words in my journal and in my homework assignments and floating through the air. Here are a few photos of the city. They are not very personal ones,  but I think it's a good base and will definitely be building upon them.













1 comment:

  1. At the dispersion of meaning and struggle of language there lies also an opening in which genuine expression first arises.

    Thank you for the pictures, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...