25 November, 2010

muffins for moving

In my opinion, moving is one of the most unpleasant tasks one could ever have. Okay, so  I'm exaggerating but it really can be quite the ordeal. You have to pack up everything you own, all the meanwhile living in disarray. Then you must load all of that into a truck. Then you must move it into the new home. More disarray. All the lifting, packing and unpacking, arranging and rearranging... And how on earth are you supposed to eat properly when all of your utensils are hidden away and you fear that a full grocery bag will cause the pile of boxes on your kitchen counter to topple over.

I am so thankful for the people who helped me to move over the summer. Especially the friend who helped to fit everything into the U-haul like pieces of a puzzle. And the other who sent me off with a spanish tortilla for the road and enough blueberry muffins for almost a week's worth of breakfast. So, when somebody new moved into my apartment building I baked her some chocolate zucchini bread muffins. I must admit, part of my motivation was the image of a community where neighbors really do know one another and take turns hosting dinner parties, etc. Although all the people in our 7-unit building is friendly enough I don't really see that happening here.

These muffins have a good amount of nutrients from the zucchini, banana and whole wheat, and they have just enough chocolate that they could pass for breakfast, a snack, or dessert (especially with a glass of milk). Give them a try and let me know what you think - whether you have a new neighbor or not.

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffin Recipe:

1/2 c sugar
1/3 c canola oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c all-purpose whole wheat flour
2 T cocoa
1 T cinnamon
1 1/2 c grated zucchini (one medium-large zucchini)
1 handful chocolate chips

In a large bowl, beat the sugar and oil, then the egg and vanilla.
Add the bananas, mashing them separately first, or right into the bowl. I usually just use the end of the mixer.
Mix in all the dry ingredients.
Fold in the zucchini, and then the chocolate chips.

Pour into a muffin tin and bake at 350F for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick will come out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...