19 October, 2010

tomato leaf soap

Well, there's no doubt about it. It is Autumn, and it is beautiful! I am still a bit apprehensive about my approaching first northern winter, but I think that 2 months of weather like this will definitely make up for it. I also made sure to take in as much sun as possible during our "Indian Summer". I never even knew what that meant until now.

In an attempt to hold onto this time of year as long as possible, I made tomato leaf soap. I happened to come across instructions here a while back and mentioned them to my neighbor, who had a garden. When she pulled everything up she saved some leaves for me. I took a few short-cuts and they seem to have worked just fine.

1. I used the entire 2-lb. block of glycerin (that I ordered from Amazon), melted it and added the leaves and stems in large chunks.


2. I didn't measure out the tomato leaves, nor did I add them in 2 steps. This is how much I used:


It got pretty bubbly, but that didn't seem to cause any problems.


3. I added a few drops each of tea tree oil and cinnamon oil, just because they were what I had on hand.


Here's a picture of the final product, including the bar that I wrapped up and gave to my neighbor, to thank her for giving me her leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...