20 February, 2012

pass the peas

Sunday night we had a couple friends over for dinner. I made this butternut squash lasagna, they brought over wine, as well as chocolate and tea for dessert. I had intended to take pictures throughout the evening, but somehow once I started cooking my camera never even crossed my mind. All I have to show you is this morning-after table.


Fortunately, some morning-after meditation helped me get going on a day full of studying.

I also have a recipe. I've been putting it off in a way because, well, first, I have to convince you that I really do like peas. My mother will be shocked to read this, but it's true. It all started with this recipe. Sure, it livens things up with lots of butter and prosciutto, but in the end you are still eating a big bowl of peas. And I can eat a really big bowl of peas for dinner. It's one of my mainstays when Ian is not around because it is quick and easy, and one of the few foods that he does not care for. In the end it is basically just a bowl of every child's least-favorite vegetable, but I can't get enough of it. The key is to cook the peas just long enough for them to soften up and release all their sweetness, but not to let them turn into mushiness. It should be a vibrant green, a sweet earthiness with flecks of garlic and acidity from caramelized tomatoes. If you're not convinced, try the link above, and then when you fall in love with it, go ahead and give this one a try too.


Sauteed Peas & Tomatoes Recipe:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 handful grape tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
olive oil
salt & pepper

Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add the tomatoes. Cook until the skins begin to brown; they may even burst as you push them around with the back of a spoon. The more patience you have the sweeter they will get. When they are near done add in the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.

Add the peas, cook with a lid for 5-10 minutes, checking occasionally to give them a stir and to be sure you do not overcook them. They should be sweet and tender, but still a vibrant shade of green. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with more olive oil and a squirt of lemon juice if desired.

Take it up one more notch by adding some Parmesan and a hearty slice of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...