10 January, 2011

sunny substitute

We just threw out our Christmas trees, but many people are already looking forward to spring break. I keep hearing about plans for trips to warm, sunny places like Florida, Mexico, and southern Spain. But it's only January and I also hear that we won't get anywhere close to spring-like weather until April. This winter, my first northern winter, will be quite and educational experience. I imagine that when Spring finally arrives it will be glorious. Honestly, I don't mind the cold too much. Because I have a garage I have yet to scrape ice off my car - it really feels like cheating. It's the short days that get to me. We actually have had plenty of sunny days but dusk falls upon us by 4:30, and even when I look outside to see sunshine it is just like a teaser because I cannot really enjoy it without wearing pounds of clothing.


It looks like I won't be taking any exotic trips for a while, but in the meantime I've come up with a citrus salad that is bright and sunny. Last year, after reading this recipe, I was dying to get my hands on some meyer lemons but I was too late. I didn't expect to see them in the store so early this year, but they are there and I'm not taking any chances. I bought my first bag of these sweet, floral-smelling lemons and savored just knowing that they were in my kitchen. I preserved a few - simply with salt, according to this method. I haven't tried those yet.

This salad blends together sweet, sour, and savory in a way that makes it a little bit easier to imagine sun-bathing beside palm trees or strolling through jasmine-draped alleyways. The recipe is imprecise, I'm just telling you what I threw together. You can easily alter it to your taste or for more than one serving.

Citrus Salad Recipe:

1/2 meyer lemon, thinly sliced cross-wise (eat the peel and all)
3 sections large pomelo grapefruit, membranes removed
1 clementine orange, peeled and sectioned
small handful dried cranberries

Mix or layer these in a bowl, sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with avocado oil.

Happy daydreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...