05 September, 2010

luscious

"Luscious" is the best word I can come up with to describe figs. When biting into one on its own, the sweet earthy flavor and the soft, round, fleshy texture makes me feel as though I were doing something sinful. I first came to really appreciate figs when I spent a summer in Spain. My husband was so kind as to follow me around as I gawked at the amazing food market in Barcelona. We bought giant figs, jamon serrano and a dry, salty cheese, which we ate picnic-style in our hotel.


I love it when something so simple feels so luxurious. That's my favorite thing about good, fresh food or a hot cup of coffee as the sunlight streams through the kitchen window. This weekend has been kind of like that. For an evening snack I prepared some warm figs with cheese and honey, 2 different ways. Try it with a glass of red wine if you're feeling romantic.


Warm Figs and Cheese:
Version 1:
On a baking sheet lay out plain round crackers
Top with a slice of hard cheese, followed by half of a fig
Drizzle top with honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon

Version 2:
Cut an "X" into the bottom of the fig
Stuff with goat cheese
Lay them on their sides on  baking sheet
Drizzle top with honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon

Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese begins to soften, 10-15 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...